Monday, July 30, 2012

XIV Legion finally arrived

 Here are some pictures of my poor old forgotten Legion, who have been lost on route to their barracks.

 They set out back in Nov last year but have only just arrived back at their summer camp. Where they have been and quite how they have been forgotten for so long, only the Gods know. Anyway they're back and finished that's the main thing.

 I let my self have real fun with this lot and with great effort I took off my perfectionist head and just enjoyed painting basic colours then dipping with AP. They turned out great and I only highlighted a few because they didn't really need much. I think the joy came at seeing how quick they were produced and the results on the armour was good. The shields took a bit more time as they are hand painted and are based on the re-enactment group of the XIV legion.

These figures now complete the Army of Britannia and make three cohorts of 18 Legionaries. Lately I changed my Cohorts from 24 to 18 figures because they looked better and were more manageable on the board. Also I liked the idea of having more units to play with and the formations they can now take.

6 comments:

Sire Godefroy said...

Great unit! The freehand shields look marvellous and make the figures really stand out.

Cheers
SG

Michael Awdry said...

They really do look wonderful and as for those shields - wow!

Anibal Invictus said...

Beautiful unit!

BigRedBat said...

Yes very nice! Shoudl be the lost IX Legion! ;-)

How did you do the bases? They look great!

Secundus said...

lol, well compared to your bases Simon they are nothing much to look at.
I like to paint figures but hate painting bases, this includes glueing sand and then painting it. I will do it for leaders etc but I find it takes time away from painting figures. I have a huge que of painted figures that are in the cabinet waiting for their bases to be finished.

I do my bases by layering up different colours of flock. This is really quick and the results can be good. I think the real breakthrough came though when i discovered those little grass tufts. It might have been your Blog that i first saw them on. Also I found an 'earth' coloured flock in a near by model railway shop which looks good. I don't like spending a lot of time on basing so flocking really works for me. I'm glad you like them, that's a real compilment.

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I became a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to anybody. at the snack of my finger things are made happen. I am now a Powerful Man and no one steps on me without an apology. I turn to Human beings also at any time I want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. I became a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduced me into a Vampire Kingdom by giving me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com