Monday, September 01, 2014

Making ACW corn fields

 Well after making the wheat fields and being impressed with how effective they looked, I thought I would try another Civil war classic terrain piece, the corn field.
I set about it in exactly the same way as the wheat, only instead of cutting random shapes, cut the mat into strips to give it a corn field look.
 Once again I spray the green mat with a brown undercoat layer first then dry brushed on varying shades of green paint. The paint got more and more yellow with every coat going up the plant, so that just the very tips were yellow by the end.
 The catcher in the Rye.
 The final touch for the corn was to add green and yellow flock to the mat bristles with wood glue. This adds a little more bulk and detail to the plants.
 Seen from above the rows of corn can clearly be seen. These too can be removed to allow units to enter the fields.
A gentleman surveys his plantation.

7 comments:

Service Ration Distribution (Hobby) said...

How good is stand-ability? In other words how wide do you make the sections and, I suppose, how long? Do you glue them to permanent fields? Would they work on a 1/72 battlefield?

Secundus said...

They are quite easy to knock and move which could be improved by sticking them down to a board. You could always make them thicker, say two rows deep instead of one. I haven't used them yet in a game so I can't say how bad thay will be. I plan to be a bit careful around them and try not to knock them. The wheat fields are a tough as old boots and can with stand anything!
1/72 would work just just as well with the door mat length. My sections of corn have been cut to about 5inch strips. The width was dictated by the actual mat and its rows of bristles. The best thing to do is get a mat and try some different things out, they make great fields no matter what scale.

Secundus said...

There other thing is of course you could push them all together like the wheat field, this would stop them from being knocked and going out of formation. Rows was just an idea to make them look more like a corn field but I have to admit when I use them I might have to see what works best. Cheers Simon.

Chris Stoesen said...

I really like how this came out. I will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Tim said...

These look great. Thanks for the tutorial.

Mr_Ginge said...

Have you thought about magnetising the bases using the very flat magnetic strip? Hopefully that way they’d stay up even if knocked about but still retain their removability for troop movement.

Piotr LA said...

I read your blog really its informative
dream girls